Tags

, , ,

Cologne Cathedral or Domkirche St. Peter und Maria
(Catedral de Colônia ou Domkirche St. Peter und Maria)

It is the seat of the Archbishopric of Cologne, a renowned monument of Gothic architecture, a medieval pilgrimage center and is a World Heritage Site.  It is Germany’s most visited landmark, attracting an average of 20,000 people a day. The construction of Cologne Cathedral commenced in 1248 but was halted in 1473, leaving it unfinished. Work recommenced in the 19th century and was completed, to the original plan, in 1880. It is 144.5 metres (474 ft) long, 86.5 m (284 ft) wide and its towers are approximately 157 m (515 ft) tall. The cathedral is the largest Gothic church in Northern Europe and has the second-tallest spires and largest façade of any church in the world. The choir has the largest height to width ratio, 3.6:1, of any medieval church. Cologne’s medieval builders had planned a grand structure to house the reliquary of the Three Kings and fit its role as a place of worship for the Holy Roman Emperor.
(É a sede do Arcebispado de Colônia, um monumento famoso da arquitetura gótica, um centro de peregrinação medieval e é um Patrimônio da Humanidade. É o marco histórico mais visitado da Alemanha, atraindo uma média de 20.000 pessoas por dia. A construção da Catedral de Colônia começou em 1248, mas foi interrompida em 1473, deixando-a inacabada. O trabalho recomeçou no século 19 e foi concluído, de acordo com os planos originais, em 1880. Ela mede 144,5 metros (474 pés) de comprimento, 86,5 m (284 pés) de largura e as torres medem aproximadamente 157 m (515 pés) de altura. A catedral de Colônia é a maior igreja gótica do norte da Europa, tem o segundo conjunto mais alto de torres e a maior fachada de uma igreja no mundo. O coro tem a maior razão entre altura e largura (3.6:1) de qualquer igreja medieval. Os construtores medievais de Colônia planejaram uma grande estrutura para abrigar o relicário dos Três Reis Magos e adequá-la a seu papel como o lugar de culto para o Sacro Imperador).

The original cathedral was completed in 818. This building was destroyed by fire on 30 April 1248, during demolition in preparation for a new cathedral.
(A catedral original foi concluída em 818, mas foi destruída por um incêndio em 30 de Abril de 1248, durante a demolição, em preparação para a construção do novo edifício).

In 1164, the Archbishop of Cologne, Rainald of Dassel (below) had acquired the relics of the Three Kings which had been taken from the Basilica of Sant’Eustorgio, Milan, Italy by the Emperor Frederick Barbarossa (Parts of the relics have since been returned to Milan). The relics had great religious significance and could be counted upon to draw pilgrims from all over Christendom. It was important to church officials that they be properly housed, and thus began a building program in the new style of Gothic architecture based, particularly, on the French cathedral of Amiens.

(Em 1164, o arcebispo de Colônia, Rainald de Dassel (abaixo) havia adquirido as relíquias dos Três Reis Magos que tinham sido tomadas da Basílica de Sant’Eustorgio de Milão pelo imperador Frederico Barbarossa (parte delas já foram retornadas a Milão). As relíquias tinham grande significado religioso e foram utilizadas para atrair peregrinos de toda a Cristandade. Era importante para os oficiais da igreja que elas fossem devidamente alojadas, e assim foi iniciado um programa de construção no novo estilo da arquitetura gótica, inspirada especificamente pelo projeto da catedral francesa de Amiens).

The foundation stone was laid on 15 August 1248, by Archbishop Konrad von Hochsdorf. The eastern arm was completed under the direction of Master Gerhard and was consecrated in 1322 and sealed off by a temporary wall so it could be in use as the work proceeded. Eighty four misericords in the choir date from this building phase. In the mid 14th century work on the west front commenced under Master Michael. This work halted in 1473, leaving the south tower complete up to the belfry level and crowned with a huge crane which was destined to remain in place, and a landmark of the Cologne skyline, for 400 years. Some work proceeded intermittently on the structure of the nave between the west front and the eastern arm, but during the 16th century this ceased.
(A pedra fundamental foi lançada a 15 de agosto de 1248 pelo arcebispo Konrad von Hochsdorf. A ala oriental foi concluída sob a direção do mestre Gerhard e consagrada em 1322, mas foi selada por uma parede temporária para que pudesse estar em uso durante o curso dos trabalhos. As oitenta e quatro misericórdias do coro datam desta fase da construção. Em meados do século XIV foram iniciados os trabalhos na fachada oeste sob a direção do mestre Michael. Estas obras foram interrompidas em 1473, deixando a torre sul completa até a altura do campanário e coroada com um enorme guindaste que estava destinado a permanecer no local, como uma espécie de marco na linha do horizonte de Colônia por 400 anos. Algumas obras continuaram de forma intermitente na estrutura da nave entre as alas oriental e ocidental, mas mesmo estes foram cessados no século XVI).

 With the 19th century Romantic enthusiasm for the Middle Ages, and spurred on by the lucky discovery of the original plan for the façade, it was decided, with the commitment of the Protestant Prussian Court, to complete the cathedral. It was achieved by civic effort; the Central-Dombauverein, founded in 1842, raised two-thirds of the enormous costs (over US$ 1 billion in today’s money), while the Prussian state supplied the remaining third. The state saw this as a way to improve its relations with the large number of Catholic subjects it had gained in 1815.
Work resumed in 1842 to the original design of the surviving medieval plans and drawings, but utilising more modern construction techniques, including iron roof girders. The nave was completed and the towers were added. The bells were installed in the 1870s. The completion of Germany’s largest cathedral was celebrated as a national event on 14 August 1880, 632 years after construction had begun. The celebration was attended by Emperor Wilhelm I.

(Com o entusiasmo romântico do século XIX pela Idade Média e estimulados pela descoberta fortuita dos planos originais para a fachada, foi decidido, com o envolvimento da Corte protestante da Prússia, completar a catedral. Isto foi conseguido pelo esforço cívico do Central-Dombauverein, organização fundada em 1842 que levantou dois terços dos enormes custos (mais de 1 bilhão de dólares atuais!!!!), enquanto o Estado prussiano forneceu o terço restante. A Prússia lidou com a situação usando-a como uma maneira de melhorar suas relações com o grande número de súditos católicos que havia ganho como seu butim territorial do Congresso de Viena em 1815.
As obras foram retomadas em 1842, utilizando os projetos medievais originais, mas utilizando técnicas de construção modernas, incluindo vigas de ferro no telhado. A nave foi concluída e as torres foram adicionadas. Os sinos foram instalados na década de 1870. A conclusão da maior catedral da Alemanha foi comemorada como um evento nacional a 14 de Agosto de 1880, 632 anos após o início de sua construção, contando com a presença do Imperador Guilherme I).

Art Treasures

 Datei:Köln Dreikönigsschrein.JPG

The Shrine of the Three Kings (O Relicário dos Três Reis Magos)

 The most celebrated work of art in the cathedral is the The Shrine of the Three Kings, commissioned by Philip von Heinsberg, archbishop of Cologne from 1167 to 1191 and created by Nicholas of Verdun, began in 1190. It is traditionally believed to hold the remains of the Three Wise Men, whose relics were acquired by Frederick Barbarossa at the conquest of Milan in 1164. The shrine takes the form a large reliquary in the shape of a basilican church, made of bronze and silver, gilded and ornamented with architectonic details, figurative sculpture, enamels and gemstones. The shrine was opened in 1864 and was found to contain bones and garments.

(A mais notável obra de arte da catedral é o Relicário dos Três Reis, encomendado pelo arcebispo Philip von Heinsberg (1167-1191) e criado por Nicholas de Verdun, que o iniciou em 1190. Tradicionalmente se acreditava que nele eram mantidos os restos mortais dos Três Reis Magos, cujas relíquias foram adquiridas por Frederico Barbarossa na conquista de Milão, em 1164. O Relicário tem a forma de uma igreja basílica, feita em bronze e prata dourado e ornamentada com detalhes arquitetônicos, esculturas figurativas, esmaltes e pedras preciosas. O Relicário foi aberto em 1864 e constatou-se que continha ossos e peças de vestuário).

Near the sacristy is the Gero Kreuz, a large crucifix carved in oak and with traces of paint and gilding. Believed to have been commissioned around 960 for Archbishop Gero, it is the oldest large crucifix north of the Alps and the earliest-known large free-standing Northern sculpture of the medieval period.
(Perto da sacristia fica o Crucifixo de Gero, uma grande peçaesculpido em madeira de carvalho e com pintura e douramento vestigiais. Acredita-se que foi encomendado em torno de 960 para Arcebispo Gero, sendo o mais antigo crucifixo de grande porte ao norte dos Alpes e da mais antiga escultura autônoma conhecida no norte da Europa medieval.)

http://www.koelner-dom.de/index.php?id=19841